Curriculum Planning at Haversham
At Haversham we plan to deliver the school curriculum as follows:
- The children in the Foundation Stage follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum, as updated in 2012.
- The children in Years 1 & 2 follow the National Curriculum. Year 1 & 2 follow the Key Stage One Programmes of Study. For all areas of the curriculum the school either refers to the National Literacy Strategy or National Numeracy Strategy, uses the QCA Scheme of Work for their subject, or the school Scheme of Work, as a starting point for curriculum planning.
Cross-curricular links are encouraged and actively promoted, and meeting learning objectives detailed in the Schemes of Work, takes precedent over coverage of all that is in them. The school uses the professionalism and the experience of staff to plan and create a vibrant, interesting curriculum for the children where they are engaged and challenged appropriately. We very actively promote excellence and enjoyment within the curriculum planning.
Organisation of the Curriculum
The fulfilment of our aims is achieved by the provision of a curriculum that is broad and balanced. Children’s work is organised through a ‘topic’ or ‘centre of interest’ approach. Through the topic, children are engaged in an integrated curriculum involving the development of a wide variety of skills, through varied tasks. Carefully structured activities, allowing for individual needs, enable children to extend their experience of themselves and the world in which they live, and allow for the development of skills and concepts necessary for learning to take place.
The school curriculum is comprised of the following core and foundation subjects :
- Information and Communication Technology
- Religious Education
- Design Technology
- Physical Education
Other subjects and cross-curricular issues include:
- Spiritual and Moral Education
- Personal, Social Citizenship and Health Education
- Environmental Studies
Our Foundation Curriculum aims to meet the needs of children on entry to our school prior to Key Stage 1. It includes seven areas of learning in order that children can work towards attaining Early Learning Goals, through a wide range of experiences and activities. For further details see the Foundation Stage Curriculum page.
Haversham Village School Two Year Cycle of Topics
|Autumn 1||My Life||Toys and machines|
|Autumn 2||Then and Now||Celebrations|
|Spring 1||Senses||Ourselves and keeping healthy|
|Spring 2||Once upon a time…||People who help us|
|Summer 1||All things great and small||Our world|
|Summer 2||Fantasy and adventure